Learning how to make pizza at home? This recipe is a hearty, zesty main dish with a crisp, golden crust. Feel free to use whatever toppings your family enjoys on this homemade pizza recipe.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. In large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add oil and salt. Stir in flour, a cup at a time, until a soft dough forms.
2. Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 2-3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
3. Punch down dough; divide in half. Press each into a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Combine the tomato sauce, oregano and basil; spread over each crust. Top with beef mixture, green pepper and cheese.
4. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Using lean ground beef in the meat loaf instead of beef that’s 80% lean saves 45 calories per 4-ounce serving of beef. Lean ground beef is also 29% lower in saturated fat.
- To make a delicious herbed pizza crust, I add 1 teaspoon each of basil and oregano to a boxed pizza crust mix. It’s an excellent way to give a little added zip to homemade pizza. —Michelle Durfee Gregory, MI
Nutrition Facts: 2 slices: 537 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.